Tuesday, October 24, 2023

What’s real here?

Have you ever had one of those days where you just feel yucky?  

I woke up this morning and put on a workout shirt that felt good to wear…

I was excited to take a selfie and confirm how I feel I’m doing on self care…I took a pic and thought “ well that’s weird, I look fat…that can’t really be how I look”.  So I took another from a different angle.  Hmmmm, yup that’s not better.  I’m deleting ALL of these. 

In previous counseling sessions I’ve been told I display symptoms of body dissociative disorder: it’s hard for me to trust how I feel I look in pictures as I know that my perception may be inaccurate.  Basically, my brain lies to me. 

For example:

What I saw in the picture today didn’t match what I felt. 

What I felt- confident, healthy, toned, petite and cute

What I saw- cellulite, lack of tone, 30 pounds heavier than I felt I was (maybe an exaggeration), a girl who isn’t coping well with stress, a girl who is lying to herself about her own reality. 

These dissociative thoughts also work the other way around…when I was REALLY fit and healthy I felt heavy and untoned.  I couldn’t believe the girl I saw in pictures was actually me.  

After seeing a self portrait today I feel gross and disappointed in myself.  How could I possibly still be struggling with my health and wellness?  I know personally how amazing it feels to make healthy choices and manage my anxiety.  I also know all too well how terrible it feels when I don’t…

It’s not so much about the physical aspect, although I wouldn’t mind being fit again, it’s more the way I FEEL when I self care and make healthy choices.  

I have justified my poor choices… I give in to temptation over and over.  I wake up and tell myself, “today is a new day” and then repeat the same choices that leave me feeling gross.  I will eat well for a few days and then right back to eating my feelings of loneliness-boredom-sadness-anxiety.  

In my head I bully myself…

  • You look like the girl guys would love to have as a ‘friend’
  • You are gross
  • Hair up…hair down…it doesn’t matter you’re face is still fat
  • …I’m lazy
  • You’re failing and the world can see it.  
  • Ha…you were a personal trainer?  
(These feelings are incredibly hard to admit to myself and even more so to others…Will I be judged?  Made fun of?  Pitied?  Offered unsolicited advice?…on the contrary will I receive compassion? understanding? respect? encouragement?)  Either way it’s my reality I must face.  

I just want to lay in bed all day today so I can stay in self pity and wonder how to feel validated by the world that I’m enough.  This is exactly why I must get up…wash my face and really think about my choices and how I want to feel at the end of the day.  I am the boss of my day…I get to decide where to put my energy.  

They say you can tell about what matters to a person by what they invest their time in…

I say health and fitness matter to me, but do they really?  Am I acting in alignment with my values and desires?  Nope. 

Feeling yucky is my body’s way of talking to me… what is this feeling telling me?  Let’s get curious!

  • I don’t like how I’m showing up to myself.
  • I could be managing my emotions and feelings in a healthier way.  
  • I am not living in alignment with my values
  • I am looking outwardly for motivation to self care...and it isn’t working.  

Gratitude:

  1. I threw out the chip dip and Oreos I’ve been binging on.  Surprisingly felt AMAZING to waste them (I was NEVER allowed to waste food growing up)!  
  2. I am honestly journaling my feelings and feeling less depressed and more motivated by doing so. 
  3. I am able to fit into my beloved workout shirt

That’s all I’ve got for now.  Some time at the gym will be a good replacement for unhealthy food to boost my yucky mood today.  

Self affirmation:

“Most people will live their lives giving themselves excuses for why they didn’t do the thing.  Don’t be most people.”

Daily affirmations-Instagram










1 comment:

  1. You Amanda are brave...Strong when ur feeling weak...beautiful when u feel ugly....good job wasting food but NOT THE OREOS..LOL

    ReplyDelete

WOTY

Resilience   Psychologists define resilience as the process of adapting well in the face of adversity, trauma, tragedy, threats, or signific...